Back to Cup Final Page

Saturday 21st April 2012


Debden Sports 5

St Margarets 0


Debden Sports secured the Division Two League Cup with a comfortable 5-0 victory over St Margarets on Saturday

This game was over as a contest by half time as Debden went in at the interval four goals to the good.

Within the opening seven minutes Debden had secured a two goal lead but St Margarets will rue a penalty miss after ten minutes which would have got them back into the game.

With virtually their first attack of the game Debden went into the lead as a corner from the left created confusion in the St Margarets penalty area and allowed skipper Steve Holding to score at the far post.

With their next attack Debden doubled their advantage when some influential Steve O'Brien played the ball into the path of Paul Christodoulou his pace allowed him to break clear he was up ended by the keeper but lucky for him the ball broke to James Bolton who netted from the great advantage played by Referee Joe Figg, that saved the keeper from what would have been a straight red.

St Margarets were offered an immediate opportunity to halve the arrears when on 10 minutes Craig Tomlinson was fouled in the box. However Karl Ellis's kick struck the woodwork.

From there on Debden dominated and had chances to increase their lead. With 17 minutes gone a free kick from Scott Holding added a third for the team in green and black. Christodoulou should have added a fourth when he shot over when it seemed easier to score.

In injury time in the first half the game was over as a cross from Steve Holding was neatly controlled by O'Brien who teed up his strike partner Christodoulou to score and so allowing Debden to go into the half time break four goals to the good

Within the 1st minute of the re-start Debden netted the fifth when again Holding down the left was given far too much space his cross found Christodoulou who this time laid the ball into O'Brien the score with ease.

Late on Jack Hollyman struck a post for St Margarets which would have just been a consolation and both Scott and Steve Holding went close for Debden but were denied by keeper Simmonds

Steve O'Brien took the sponsors Man of the Match award as Debden lifted the trophy following a comfortable 5-0 victory

Author: Andy Chaplin